Back
May 02, 2022

Look out for these tasty but highly toxic mushrooms

Look out for these tasty but highly toxic mushrooms
Dr. Chris Brown
by DR. CHRIS BROWN

This erratic autumn weather sure has brought some surprises. And if all the rain wasn't enough, toxic mushrooms are now emerging as a new challenge... 

Here's where you'll find (and avoid) them...


Consistently wet conditions are driving the growth of mushrooms from southern Queensland all the way down to Tasmania. And while they may look like the delicious delicacies we like to feast on, these fungi have a rather nasty kick. They’re highly toxic if eaten. 


Worse still, the green spotted parasol, death cap and yellow staining mushrooms can be attractive to curious pets. Uncontrollable nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, neurological signs and if severe enough, liver failure can be the result.

Rather than being just an occasional nuisance, they're popping up in all kinds of places. I found this Hard Skinned Puffball in my own backyard today which has a powder inside that's damaging if inhaled...


The best prevention is keeping dogs with hoovering tendencies on a lead when you’re in the park where mushrooms are present. The tricky part is they can pop up overnight meaning vigilance is key...

Keep safe out there! In my experience, it's the high inquisitive, eat everything dogs that are most at risk but you just never know. The result of a quick munch can be far from magic 🍄 

 

 

Popular right now
01
Have you seen the Thin Red Line?
02
Can apple seeds really kill your dog?
03
Why cats gag over combs
04
The secret way furballs work. And how to help...

Something to paw over...