February 14, 2020

Toxic fungi are here to ruin your pet’s summer

Toxic fungi are here to ruin your pet’s summer
Dr. Chris Brown

The recent wet weather may have eased the fire threat, but it’s brought out a surprising new danger to pets. Highly toxic (and highly appealing) mushrooms. And sadly multiple dogs have lost their lives. Here’s what you need to know...

Wet, humid conditions are driving the growth of the fungi along eastern Australia from south east Queensland to as far south as Tasmania. And while dogs aren’t naturally drawn to mushrooms, the rotting meat smell of the Stinkhorn (or Anemome) fungi is a big attraction.

Unfortunately there is no antidote to the toxin and so survival relies on early treatment by your vet to make your dog bring up the fungi before it can have a serious effect on their health. Sadly, multiple dogs in Queensland and northern NSW have already fallen victim to its effects.

Keeping your dog on a leash while you’re in the park to ensure they don’t encounter one may be the best solution while the threat is present. Stay safe!

Popular right now
Why dogs do THAT leg-spread
Oh boy. So here's why they REALLY eat poo!
Are joints REALLY more sore in the winter?
The (surprising) reason why that lipstick appears

Something to paw over...